Nikos Ordoulidis studied at the University of Leeds, UK (PhD in popular musicology and master’s degree in music performance) and at the University of Macedonia, Greece (bachelor’s degree in ‘music science and art’). His research interests revolve around the condition of musical syncretism of popular music. Moreover, the performance techniques and the musicological research on the role of the piano in eastern musical styles constitute his latest research activity. He is a member of Modern Greek Studies Association, of the International Council for Traditional Music, and of the Hellenic Musicological Society. Since 2014 he has been teaching as an Academic Scholar at the School of Popular and Traditional Music of the Technological Educational Institute of Epirus. He has published two musicological books: The recording career of Vasílis Tsitsánis (1936-1983). An analysis of his music and the problems of research into Greek popular music (Ianos, 2014); Cloudy Sunday and the Akathyst Hymn – A Mirroring or a Reflection? (Fagotto, 2017).
- Ordoulidis, N. (2018). Renewing the popular. In E. Ntourou, & P. Frountzos, Vassilis Tsitsanis, Tis gerakinas gios (pp. 6-11). Hot Doc [in Greek].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2017). Great Vespers of Osios and Theoforos Patros Theophanes (Byzantine sheet music). Fagottobooks.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2017). Cloudy Sunday and the Akathist Hymn - A Mirroring or a Reflection? Athens: Fagotto [in Greek].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2015). A Popular Musical Symbol. In D. Maniatis (Ed.), Tsitsanis Hommage (pp. 112-115). Ta Nea [in Greek].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2014). The Recording Career of Vasílis Tsitsánis (1936-1983). An Analysis of his Music and the Problems of Research into Greek Popular Music. Athens: Ianos [in Greek].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2012). The recording career of Vasílis Tsitsánis (1936-1983) An analysis of his music and the problems of research into Greek popular music. PhD Thesis. University of Leeds.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2018). The piano in Greek popular orchestras of the previous century. An overview of the material. In R. Eleftheriadou (Ed.), 1st Interdisciplinary Symposium of Tradition and Culture (pp. 59-67). Corfu: Estia Politismou Kerkyras [in Greek].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2017). Documentation of Historical Recordings in Greece: The Case of Rebetiko. Paper: 1st Annual Conference of Music Libraries and Archives (21-22/4). Athens: The Greek Branch of the International Association of Music Libraries, Archives and Documentation Centres [in Greek / in print].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2016). Approbations and Rejections in the Arrangements of the Rebetiko Songs of the Album “Six Popular Pictures”. Round table: Intellectual and Popular Intertexts in Modern Greek Music. Case study: ‘Six popular pictures’ by Manos Hadjidakis. Athens: Effects and Interactions. Annually Conference of the Hellenic Musicological Society [in Greek / in print].
- Zoubouli, M., & Ordoulidis, N. (2016). ‘For the Craftsman, Borrowing is one of their Tools of Originality’ (K. Palamas). The Rebetes’ Trial. Athens: School of Popular and Traditional Music and Law School of Athens [in Greek].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2015). Urban Popular Music in the Greek Education System: Some Problematic Issues. In Foulias, Vouvaris, Kitsios, & Hardas (Ed.), Music and Musicology. Present and Future (pp. 204-209). Athens: The Hellenic Musicological Society (Thessaloniki 21-23/11/2014) [in Greek].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2014). Article of Vasilis Tsitsanis. Grove Music/Oxford Music Online.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2011). The Greek Popular Modes. British Postgraduate Musicology, 11. http://britishpostgraduatemusicology.org/bpm11/ordoulidis_the_greek_popular_modes.pdf
Ordoulidis, N. (2018). Deconstructing dipoles: the term ‘Minor’ in Smyrna. Fifth International Conference on Analytical Approaches to World Music (AAWM 2018) & Eighth Folk Music Analysis Workshop (FMA 2018). Thessaloniki, Greece (June 26–29).
Ordoulidis, N. (2018). The eastern piano: an introduction and certain special cases in point. The 12th Symposium of the ICTM Study Group Mediterranean Music Studies ‘Music and Sound at the Mediterranean Crossroads’. Morocco (19-24 June).
Ordoulidis, N., Moysidis, G., Ntousaki, E., Thani, E., Ioannou, A., & Papaioannou, E. (2018). A pianist from Smyrna to Athens - The family archive of Mitsos Mertikas. Workshop for the study of the piano in popular music, School of Popular and Traditional Music, TEI of Epirus. Greek Branch of IAML, 2nd Conference of Music Libraries, Archives and Documentation Centres.
Ordoulidis, N. (2017). Athens: Tatavliano / New York: Beykos. 'Variations, processes, transformations'. Annual conference of the Hellenic Musicological Society, Thessaloniki (1-3 December).
Ordoulidis, N. (2017). The 'ecumene' of the Greek estudiantinas. Conference on the Social, Cultural and Economic History of İzmir and the Region, Hrant Dink Foundation, Izmir (24-25 November).
Ordoulidis, N. (2017). Cosmopolitan Music by Cosmopolitan Musicians: The Case of Spyros Peristeris, Leading Figure of the Rebetiko. Conference Paper, 'Creating music across cultures in the 21st century, The Centre for Advanced Studies in Music (25-27/5). Istanbul Technical University.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2011). The Greek Laiko (Popular) Rhythms: Some Problematic Issues. Paper: 2nd Annual International Conference on Visual and Performing Arts (6-9/6). Athens Institute for Education and Research.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2012). The Minore Dhromos [Popular Mode] in the Songs of Vasilis Tsitsanis. Paper: 1st Conference about the Life and Times of Vassilis Tsitsanis (9/12). The Institute of Rebetology, London, School of Oriental and African Studies.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2015). 'Every port is a sorrow': The Bounds between Sea and Misery in Greek Songs. Paper: International Conference: Thalassic Imaginaries: The Mediterranean Sea in Language, Art and Other Forms of Representation (23-24/1). Mediterranean Institute, University of Malta.
- Muñoz, C. R. (2017). Global Music: Recasting and Rethinking the Popular as Global. PhD Thesis. Leiden University, Faculty of Humanities, Academy of Creative and Performing Arts.
- Fabbri, F. (2016). Mediterranean Triangle: Naples, Smyrna, Athens. In G. Plastino, & J. Sciorra (Eds.), Neapolitan Postcards: The Canzone Napoletana as Transnational Subject (pp. 29-44). Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Papadopoulou, M. (2015). Music Rituals and Social Division: Constructing, Performing, and Legitimizing the Social Self. PhD Thesis. Cardiff University.
- Pavese, E. (2016). Éntechno laikò traghoudi: Nascita di un genere della popular music greca e aspetti di connessione con la produzione degli ACI. Vox Popular, 1(1), 12-40.
- Pieridou-Skoutella, A. (2015). Small Musical Worlds in the Mediterranean: Ethnicity, Globalization and Greek Cypriot Children's Musical Identities. Routledge.
- Rodríguez, Z.-H. (2015). Música, comida e imagen: la transterritorialización en Polítiki Cusina. In T. Viñuela (Ed.), Relaciones música e imagen en los medios audiovisuales (pp. 263-276). Ediciones de la Universidad de Oviedo.
- Scott, D. (2015). 'I Changed My Olga for the Britney': Occidentalism, Auto-Orientalism and Glabal Fusion in Music. In V. Kurkela, & M. Mantere (Eds.), Critical Music Historiography: Probing Canons, Ideologies and Institutions (pp. 141-158). Routledge.
- Tagg, P. (2014). Towards a Tonal Theory of what Most People Hear. New York & Huddersfield: The Mass Media Scholars Press, Inc.
- Makris, D., Kermanidis, K.-L., & Karydis, I. (2014). The Greek Audio Dataset. In L. Iliadis, I. Maglogiannis, H. Papadopoulos, S. Sioutas, & C. Makris (Ed.), Proceedings, Artificial Intelligence, Applications and Innovations - Volume of the series IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, 437, pp. 165-173.
Ordoulidis, N. (2018). Eastward heterotopias of the piano. Seminar and Recital. Ionian Academy, Department of Music Studies, Ionian University, Corfu.
- Kokkonis, G., & Ordoulidis, N. (2016). Musical conversations. After Hadjidakis, the Eastern Piano Project. Urban popular musics and their intellectual intervention. Seminar. Commission for Literature and Art, University of Ioannina.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2016). ‘For Nets are not Without Cause Spread for Birds’ (Proverbs of Solomon 1:17): The Urban Chanting Practices under the Prism of Musical Networks; Issues of Style, Form and Aesthetic. Seminar at the Workshop of Anthropology. Technological Educational Institute of Epirus, School of Popular and Traditional Music.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2015). Aesthetics of Greek Popular Music: The Compositional Technique of Vasilis Tsitsanis. Seminar: Educational Music Workshop ‘Historical Moments of Greek Song’. The Friends of Music Society – Music Library of Greece ‘Lilian Voudouri’.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2015). The Eastern Piano: Seminar – Exhibition of Historical Photographs – Recital. State Conservatory of Thessasloniki.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2014). The Eastern Piano. Seminar. State Conservatory of Thessaloniki.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2014). The Eastern Piano. Seminar. University of Macedonia, Department of Music Science and Art.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2013). Popular Musicology in Greece: The Case of Rembétiko and Laikó Musical Styles. Lecture. The Athens Centre.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2013). The Role of Vasilis Tsitsanis in the Development of the Greek Urban Song. Seminar. Greek-French School 'Eugène Delacroix'.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2013). The Eastern Piano. Seminar. Municipal Conservatoire of Florina.
- «Tsitsanis 1936-1940». Text within the booklet of the disc «Tsitsanis, the great», Les Lazaristes, Thessaloniki, 2016.
- ‘Greeks of intellect and art – Vasílis Tsitsánis’, Speaker/Participant. TV Documentary by SKAI TV, Greece, 2013.
- 2009: Grant by Kostas Tsitsanis for the doctoral research project at University of Leeds ‘The Recording Career of Vasílis Tsitsánis (1936-1983). An Analysis of his Music from Commercial Recordings’.
- 2011: Grant by the ‘Research Center - Tsitsanis Museum’ for the doctoral research project.
- 2011: Grant by Labrianos Karipidis for the doctoral research project.
- 2011: Grant by the School of Music, University of Leeds for the doctoral research project.
- 2012: Grant by ALP Business Solutions SA for the doctoral research project.
Portfolio of compositions - Discography - Autonomous Projects
- Religious music for SATB choir and for SATB choir and orchestra.
- Cycles of waltzes and nocturnes for piano solo.
- Official ‘Tourist guide of the city of Naoussa’ (CD-ROM) – Personal Compositions included.
- 1st personal CD album: ‘Oneiro diprosopo’ [Two-faced dream] – 2006 (independent release).
- 2nd personal CD album: Theatrical play ‘Peace by Aristophanes’. Work for orchestra and children choir – 2005 (independent release).
- 3rd personal CD album: ‘Aroma apo louloudi’ [Flower scent] – 2007 (independent release).
- 4th personal CD album: ‘Lyrical horizons, Ten Popular Songs for piano and voice’ – 2009 (independent release).
- ‘The Eastern Piano Project’: series of video-recordings of free-style improvisations - experimentations on several personal performance techniques around the piano. 2012 (eastern-piano.com).
- Musical-drama reading ‘Saint Ignatius the Godbearer’. Work for three soloists, Byzantine choir and piano - 2013.
- Music written for the short film ‘Alone’ – 2014.
- 5th personal CD album: ‘The Eastern Piano Project – the rebetiko era’ – 2015 (Melissa music).